Background and previous events: 1988 – hypergates appear in different places of the Earth. The gates lead to what apparently is a different version of our planet in which elements of the present world mix with elements from the remote past and from what possibly is a remote future. From the hyperplanet, invading armies, dinosaurs and giant golems attack our world. The governments of the Earth send SWAT squads through the gates: their task is to explore the hostile planet on the other side and hopefully find a way to shut the hypergates and stop the invasion.
Sgt.Ephraim and his comrades must shut-down an unstable wormhole which has been reported in the Opokt area. The wormhole is under the control of Damocles Garth, a renegade marine who has joined the collaborationists. The earthlings have been informed by an anonymous source in Damocles’ army: who is this person?
I use the NSAABH card deck to answer these three questions:
(Clubs) Where exactly is the wormhole?
(Diamonds) How can it be shut-down?
(Spades) Who is the anonymous informant?
(1) Five of spades – the anonymous informant is not a robot.
Ephraim’s squad recovers a memory deck whose position had been revealed by the informant. He sent the earthlings a handwritten note: so he/she is not a robot. Ephraim fails a 50-50 roll to discover a second card.
(2) Two of spades – the informant isn’t Damocles’ sidekick Tia. Ephraim’s squad is confronted by a group of gaters lead by Tia: clearly, she is loyal to the collaborationists.
(3) Ace of diamonds – the wormhole cannot be shut-down by explosives. Our heroes are defeated in an attempt to break through the defence of the gaters. They receive new from their HQ that the wormhole is supposed to be resistant to explosives.
(4) Ace of Clubs: the wormhole is not in the dungeons below Opokt. The team explores the dungeons and find nothing bug bugs and collaborationists. They win the fight, and, by questioning a prisoner, Ephraim also discovers that
(4b) 4 of Spades: the mysterious informant is not a civilian, but someone in the blue army.
(5) 2 of Diamonds: the earth HQ dig more valuable intelligence out of the memory deck: the wormhole cannot be shut-down by a technological interface.
(6) Ace of Spades. The informant is not Damocles. Only one spades card is left. The informant is a blue soldier: Ephraim’s team recovers him.
(7) 4 of clubs – the team explores an island in the Opokt river, but the wormhole is not there.
Opokt Campaign 8/9: The abandoned factory
New Card: 3 of clubs. The wormhole is not in an abandoned factory.
Ephraim searches an abandoned factory. He founds the following collaborationist opposition:
2 Giant Bugs
An Infantry Squad
The objective is seizing ground by taking control of as many as possible of the six blue cubes. The opponent sniper and robots have the scout special ability and take control of three the objective. The green start at a clear disadvantage.
Turn 1 and 2: Ephraim, Pierre and Calaf climb the stairs nearest to their entry point. Ephraim is wounded by the sniper, but kills him in return. The giant bugs attack the green Infantry Squad, which kills one of the two. The blue veteran take control of the cube at the centre of the board.
Turn 3: the surviving bug moves (fast) to the objective at the top left. The green infantry squad engages a firefight with the blue veteran: one of the green men goes down. One of the robots tries to recapture the objective that was held by the sniper: it start a melee fight with Ephraim. Pierre shoots towards the other robot across the board, but it’s a miss. Calaf rushes towards one of the free objectives.
Turn 4: Ephraim defeats the black robot and takes hold of the objective. Calaf also reaches his objective. Pierre and the Infantry Squad do not manage to put out of combat any of the opponents. At the end, the blue still control 3 cubes vs the 2 seized by the green. It’s a blue victory.
Yet Ephraim has his third opportunity to gain an extra card: a 50/50 roll and it’s a success!
2 of Clubs: the Wormhole is not a portable device, carried around in a van. Ephraim finds a map on the body of the sniper: the wormhole is at Damocles’ HQ, whose position is clearly described.
The next game will be located there: we will see if Ephraim will find a way to shut-down the wormhole.
Clubs: Where exactly is the wormhole?
1. — Underground: below Opokt town.
2. It is a portable device, carried around in a van.
3. In an abandoned factory.
4. On an island of the Opokt river.
5. In Damocles’ HQ.
Diamonds: How can it be shut-down?
1. — Blasting it with explosive.
2. By a technological interface.
3. Some kind of spell.
4. A physical key.
5. Killing Damocles.
Spades: Who is the anonymous informant?
2. — Damocles’ sidekick Tia.
3. A collaborationist soldier.
4. — A civilian.
5. — A robot.