A solo campaign based on OPR Grimdark Future Firefight and Nine Steps and a Bloody Heart (NSAABH). Campaign set-up details here.
Background and previous events: 1988 – hypergates appear in different places of the Earth. The gates lead to what apparently is a different version of our planet in which elements of the present world mix with elements from the remote past and from what possibly is a remote future. From the hyperplanet, invading armies, dinosaurs and giant golems attack our world. The governments of the Earth send SWAT squads through the gates: their task is to explore the hostile planet on the other side and hopefully find a way to shut the hypergates and stop the invasion.
Sgt.Ephraim and his comrades must shut-down an unstable wormhole which has been reported in the Opokt area. The wormhole is under the control of Damocles Garth, a renegade marine who has joined the collaborationists. The earthlings have been informed by an anonymous source in Damocles’ army: who is this person?
I use the NSAABH card deck to answer these three questions:
(Clubs) Where exactly is the wormhole?
(Diamonds) How can it be shut-down?
(Spades) Who is the anonymous informant?
(1) Five of spades – the anonymous informant is not a robot.
Ephraim’s squad recovers a memory deck whose position had been revealed by the informant. He sent the earthlings a handwritten note: so he/she is not a robot. Ephraim fails a 50-50 roll to discover a second card.
(2) Two of spades – the informant isn’t Damocles’ sidekick Tia. Ephraim’s squad is confronted by a group of gaters lead by Tia: clearly, she is loyal to the collaborationists.
(3) Ace of diamonds – the wormhole cannot be shut-down by explosives. Our heroes are defeated in an attempt to break through the defence of the gaters. They receive new from their HQ that the wormhole is supposed to be resistant to explosives.
(4) Ace of Clubs: the wormhole is not in the dungeons below Opokt. The team explores the dungeons and find nothing bug bugs and collaborationists. They win the fight, and, by questioning a prisoner, Ephraim also discovers that
(4b) 4 of Spades: the mysterious informant is not a civilian, but someone in the blue army.
(5) 2 of Diamonds: the earth HQ dig more valuable intelligence out of the memory deck: the wormhole cannot be shut-down by a technological interface.
New card: Ace of Spades. The informant is not Damocles. Only one cards is left: the informant is a blue soldier.
I set up a scenario in which one of the two sides will be in control of the informant, escorted by an Infantry Squad. The other side must eliminate the Infantry Squad to take control of the informant. A 50-50 roll assigned the informant to control of the Gaters blue squad: The informant has been uncovered and Ephraim’s squad must recover him.
The informant is the figure marked with a pink cube. The blue enter from the South. In addition to the infantry squad, they have two veterans (running men), a sniper (crouching) and a flying bug. The Sniper has the scout ability and takes position on the relatively high building. This turned out to be a poor decision: he never had a clear line of sight to any opponent.
The squad with the objective moves towards the right. So does the green army. The two sides soon exchange shots in the narrow area near the wrecked yellowish car. Pierre takes two wounds from the two blue veterans. Calaf takes down the first of the three infantry men escorting the informant. The flying bug initially moved to the left, and at turn two it is still a the center of the board, far from the action.
Pierre is engaged in a double fight against the veterans and the flying bug: he doesn’t inflict any damage, but he survives all the attacks.
This allows Ephraim, Calaf and the green infantry squad to focus on the main objective. The task is tougher than it seems. The last infantry man is killed by the very last shot of the fourth turn. The informant is now safely in the hands of the Green army!
I must say that this time I played the blues quite poorly: both the bug and the sniper were not used at full potential. On the other hand, the veterans had some lucky shots, so it turned out to be an engaging fight anyway.
Clubs: Where exactly is the wormhole?
1. — Underground: below Opokt town.
2. It is a portable device, carried around in a van.
3. In an abandoned factory.
4. On an island of the Opokt river.
5. In Damocles’ HQ.
Diamonds: How can it be shut-down?
1. — Blasting it with explosive.
2. By a technological interface.
3. Some kind of spell.
4. A physical key.
5. Killing Damocles.
Spades: Who is the anonymous informant?
2. — Damocles’ sidekick Tia.
3. A collaborationist soldier.
4. — A civilian.
5. — A robot.