Background and previous events: 1988: hypergates appear in different places of the Earth. The gates lead to what apparently is a different version of our planet in which elements of the present world mix with elements from the remote past and from what possibly is a remote future. From the hyperplanet, invading armies, dinosaurs and giant golems attack our world. The governments of the Earth send SWAT squads through the gates: their task is to explore the hostile planet on the other side and hopefully find a way to shut the hypergates and stop the invasion.
Sgt.Ephraim and his comrades must shut-down an unstable wormhole which has been reported in the Opokt area. The wormhole is under the control of Damocles Garth, a renegade marine who has joined the collaborationists. The earthlings have been informed by an anonymous source in Damocles’ army: who is this person?
I use the NSAABH card deck to answer these three questions:
(Clubs) Where exactly is the wormhole?
(Diamonds) How can it be shut-down?
(Spades) Who is the anonymous informant?
(1) Five of spades – the anonymous informant is not a robot.
Ephraim’s squad recovers a memory deck whose position had been revealed by the informant. He sent the earthlings a handwritten note: so he/she is not a robot. Ephraim fails a 50-50 roll to discover a second card.
(2) Two of spades – the informant isn’t Damocles’ sidekick Tia. Ephraim’s squad is confronted by a group of gaters lead by Tia: clearly, she is loyal to the collaborationists.
(3) Ace of diamonds – the wormhole cannot be shut-down by explosives. Our heroes are defeated in an attempt to break through the defence of the gaters. They receive new from their HQ that the wormhole is supposed to be resistant to explosives.
(4) Ace of Clubs: the wormhole is not in the dungeons below Opokt. The team explores the dungeons and find nothing bug bugs and collaborationists. They win the fight, and, by questioning a prisoner, Ephraim also discovers that
(4b) the mysterious informant is not a civilian, but someone in the blue army.
2 of Diamonds: the wormhole cannot be shut-down by a technological interface.
The scenario is a classical “size ground” with five objectives (the pink cubes). I roll for random opposition and get:
Tia (Damocles’ sidekick) same stats as Ephraim
A fast flying bug
Two robots (who have the “scout” special ability and Tough:3)
The two scout robots can be deployed anywhere, and they immediately secure the two buildings with objectives.
Turns 1 and 2: Ephraim and Calaf face the green robot near the building on the right. The robot receives two hits, but Calaf is stunned in the fight.
Pierre shoots a well aimed rocket at Tia, who is over-confidently advancing in the open. She is Tough:3 two, gets two wounds but still stands.
The infantry team fights the black robot on the left. Both sides take damage.
Turn 3: The green robots stuns Calaf again. Ephraim shoots at him but misses.
Pierre also misses his last chance to put Tia out of combat. She retreats behind the red van, also securing an objective.
The fight on the left side doesn’t go well for the earthlings: they loose another soldier and the third is stunned.
Turn 4: The flying bug, who had been quite behind cover the whole time, flies to one of the objectives. Tia and the robots control an objective each: the earthlings have none.
This was a humiliating defeat for the green army. Yet they receive news from their HQ: new data have been extracted from the memory deck. The wormhole cannot be shut-down via a software interface.
Clubs: Where exactly is the wormhole?
1. — Underground: below Opokt town.
2. It is a portable device, carried around in a van.
3. In an abandoned factory.
4. On an island of the Opokt river.
5. In Damocles’ HQ.
Diamonds: How can it be shut-down?
1. — Blasting it with explosive.
2. By a technological interface.
3. Some kind of spell.
4. A physical key.
5. Killing Damocles.
Spades: Who is the anonymous informant?
2. — Damocles’ sidekick Tia.
3. A random collaborationist soldier.
4. — A civilian.
5. — A robot.