[A solo campaign based on the setting and characters of John Harper’s Lady Blackbird and a mix of OSR rules, mainly White Star. The Arrowshield Monastery was created thanks to RND Issue 1 by Chris Stieha]
Prior events: Lady Blackbird is on the run from an arranged marriage to Count Carlowe. She hired a smuggler skyship, The Owl, to take her to the far reaches of the Remnants, so she could be with her once secret lover, the pirate king Uriah Flint. The Owl is pursued and captured by the Imperial cruiser Hand of Sorrow. Lady Blackbird, her bodyguard Naomi, and the crew of The Owl are detained in the brig. The Captain of the Owl, Cyrus Vance,uses his Warpblood power to teleport out of the cell and free his companions. The crew manage to fight their way to the Owl and escape from the Hand of Sorrow. They find that the Imperial soldier Silas Canter has remained trapped in their ship. Since the Owl is almost out of fuel, they land on the nearby Stingwitch planetoid, but they find it infested by insect-like monsters: Naomi and Vance are badly wounded and they barely manage to escape. The Owl goes adrift, without fuel, for a few days. It is rescued by a Free Worlds galleon, the Ripe Melon, whose commander Dr. Salacia Paldo offers to cure Naomi, who has been infected by the Stingwitch mantoideans. The Compulsor Uad Balentin, who is also on the galleon with his paramilitary exacters is upset by the presence of an Imperial soldier (Silas). He will refuel the Owl and will not kill the crew, but only if they steal from the Arrowshield monastery on planet Wooddock the sacred scaly tail relic.
The next day the Ripe Melon reaches Wooddock. Natasha (Lady Blackbird), Vance, Kale and Snargle leave on the Owl directed to the Arrowshield Monastery. Compulsor Balentin has provided them with light armor that they can wear under their cloths and star swords. They reach the place which is crowded, because the Autumn Fair is taking place in the first yard of the building.
(1) They enter the building through and impressive archway. They can see the column on which the sacred Meteorite is displayed. Two monks direct them to a room on the left.
(2) Another monk with scares on his face takes a drop of blood from each of them and carefully stores each drop in a separate phial.
(3) They enter the main yard. It is rather crowded. On the right, a woman with a big doll is telling fortunes. When the party passes by she says to Vance: “my doll says that you will soon be changed”.
Natasha is attracted by a seller of jewels and perfumes. When the party moves that way, somebody tries to steal a jewel and run away. Everybody is screaming and running. The party takes advantage of the confusion to enter a door unobserved.
(4) They are in a tool storage. An utility robot is also stored there. Snargle manages to turn it on and to have it lead the party to a quiet place where they will wait for the night.
(5) They follow the robot, but when they enter a large dining hall, a monk enters from a door on the right. The party attacks and Vance puts the Monk out of action. The robot start “screaming” a loud siren. The party runs in the direction of the sanctuary.
(6) They open a door and they find in the open, in an area where part of the ancient monastery collapsed centuries ago. They are confronted by four more monks, but Vance deafeats them all thanks to his mercenary fighting skill and his star sword.
(7) They enter the sanctuary, but the relic is not there. It is completely empty but for two stairs that lead to a crypt. The party goes down on of the stairs.
They reach a small room where the monk with the scared face is waiting for them. He is surrounded by what appears to be an energy shield. The monk smiles and gives to each of them a golden apple. He gives them a fifth fruit and says: “this is for your sick friend”. The monk points them to the door leading deeper into the crypt. After receiving the apple, Natasha feels the essence flowing from the relic to her. She knows they are near. In fact, just below the pillar with the Meteorite, there is a small underground shrine. The sacred scaly tail relic is in a wooden box on a stone altar.