Prior events:  Lady Blackbird is on the run from an arranged marriage to Count Carlowe. She hired a smuggler skyship, The Owl, to take her to the far reaches of the Remnants, so she could be with her once secret lover, the pirate king Uriah Flint. The Owl is pursued and captured by the Imperial cruiser Hand of Sorrow. Lady Blackbird, her bodyguard Naomi, and the crew of The Owl (the Captain Cyrus Vance, the goblin pilot Snargle and the mechanic Kale) are detained in the brig.  They fight their way to the Owl and escape from the Hand of Sorrow.  They find that the Imperial soldier Silas Canter has remained trapped in their ship.  The Owl is out of fuel, so they land on the nearby Stingwitch planetoid, but they find it infested by mantis-like monsters.  The Owl goes adrift for a few days. It is rescued by a Free Worlds galleon, the Ripe Melon, whose commander Dr. Salacia Paldo offers to cure Naomi, who has been infected by the Stingwitch mantoideans. The Compulsor Uad Balentin, who is also on the galleon with his paramilitary exacters, will refuel the Owl and will not kill the crew, but only if they steal from the Arrowshield monastery on planet Wooddock the sacred scaly tail relic.  The party (without Naomi, who is left on the Ripe Melon) reach the Arrowshield monastery, where the Autumn Market is taking place. A fortune teller tells Vance that he will soon be changed. The party’s plan is to hide in the Monastery and wait for the night, but they are discovered. They successfully fight a few scimitar monks. In the crypt of the sanctuary, a monk offers to each of them a golden apple and points them to a shrine where they find the relic.
(1) When our heroes pick up from the altar the box containing the scaly tail relic, all the doors of the shrine disappear, and a new one appears at the other end of the room. The party moves in that direction and they reach a small room (2) where a scimitar monk is floating in the air.
The monk says “the Meteorite Goddess will put you to proof” and disappears. The party moves on throw a circular room with a turning corridor (3).
They reach what seems to be a dead end, but Kale finds a secret door (4) leading to a larger room, where a dust golem stand between two pillars (5). The golem attacks the party and puts Vance, Snargle and Kale out of combat. He asks Lady Blackbird to open the box containing the relic. He says: “take me to the Compulsor”, and turns in a handful of dust that falls into the box. The party leaves the underground room through a stair (6) leading out of the monastery.
- Is Count Carlowe in search of Lady Blackbird?
- Where are the Stingwitch mantoideans beings from?
- In the Arrowshield monastery, a fortune teller told Vance that “he will be changed”. What does this mean?
- What is the meaning of the golden apples that a scimitar monks donated to the heroes?